I’ve been thinking about this phrase a lot in the past few days. While I want to keep abreast of the events and changes within our culture, I certainly do not subscribe to many of its appealing attractions. What is the most attracting concept within our culture today? It is the notion of me-ism… living for self. So, if I was going to follow the cultural trend and feed the desires of my heart, what would be the total opposite of that trend? I believe that going counter-culture is to buck the trend, and pursue the alternate path.
Culture vs. Counter-Culture
1. Culture says, “Just do it” … Counter-culture would say to “don’t jump because your friends are doing it”
2. Culture says, “Buy on credit, you deserve it now!”… Counter-culture would say, “Follow the 90/10 rule” and “walk away from any potential big purchase and think about it for 24 hours” (read Proverbs 21:5)
3. Culture says, “If you don’t like your partner, just get a divorce”… Counter-culture says, “Remember your vows; for better or for worse, til death do you part”
4. Culture says, “Send your kids to school. You deserve the break”… Counter-culture says, “You are your child’s first teacher. Why send them off to a group of strangers to teach them when you can do a better job with one-to-one instruction?”
5. Culture says, “What about socialization?”… Counter-culture says, “Socialization is being around and associating with people of ALL ages, not just a predetermined age bracket”
6. Culture says, “Who needs God or faith or anything spiritual?”… Counter-culture says, “Now Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen (Hebrews 11:1)”
7. Culture says, “You deserve a bigger house, a fancy car, and a better career”… Counter-culture says, “learn to be content with what you have. A house can burn down, a car can get wrecked. A career can be swallowed whole in one economic swoop.”
8. Culture says, “You should only have one or maybe two children at the most”… Counter-culture says, “the more the merrier, and blessed, too! A man’s quiver is full of arrows (children)” (See Psalm 127:4,5)
9. Culture says, “Take advantage of everything the government has to offer”… Counter-culture says, “Pray for the leaders of your country. Maintain honesty and integrity in all things. But trust in God for all your provisions. Governments can fall at any moment. Look at the old Egyptian and Roman empires.”
10. Culture says, “Be isolated and keep to yourself. Be wary of strangers.”… Counter-culture says, “Yes, keep a watchful eye, especially with young children. But, remember to love your neighbors as yourself.”
I still have a lot to learn about becoming more counter-culture. It’s a change of mindset and of my heart. I can love my community without following all of its flawed principles. But, I must follow my intuition and my faith foremost. If I were to be carried by every wind of doctrine, I would be swept away. I need to know WHAT I believe, WHY I believe it, and HOW I am going to live it. Learn it, live it, love it.